Monday, August 31, 2015

What should my root canal look like?

What is my root canal supposed to loo like when it's done?
Ask your dentist to show you the before and after pictures.
Here is a case that I did last week. 

The tooth on the left needs a root canal. 
The black line running through the middle of the tooth
represents the "canal" that runs through the middle of the "root".
Thus a "root" "canal".
In order for a root canal to have the best chance of succeeding
the ENTIRE canal needs to be cleaned out. 
Meaning 360 degrees and all the way to the end of the root.



Below you will see the finished product.
Now, is this "perfect"? 
I am not saying that. I am sure there is always room for improvement.
But, I do like what I see here.
The filling material is all the way to the end of the root. 
There is even just a little out the end, which is great 
(if it weren't do you think I would put it out there for the world to see)?
The filled canal also looks a tad larger then the original, which 
shows that cleaning and shaping took place.
The final filling also has no large voids in it. 


Now some of this may be total Greek to some of you. 
But the take home point is to make sure that the filling material
looks solid and that it is all the way to the end of the tooth.

It is your right, as a patient, to see the after pictures of any procedure. 
Take control of your own health. 
Make sure you are happy with your results. 






No comments:

Post a Comment